While studying in Canada you may wish to work to help with your expenses or to continue longer in your program. This is possible, however a permit may be necessary for you to do so and there are restrictions.

Work on campus:

To be eligible you must:

  • Be a full time student.
  • Have a valid study permit.
  • study at a public or private -post secondary institution (some restrictions apply).
Work off-campus:

This program allows certain foreign students to work off campus while completing their studies. As of June 1/2014 Off Campus Work Permits are no longer issued. Off campus work conditions are now listed on Study Permits. If you have an older Study Permit and do not have an Off Campus Work Permit, you need to amend your Study Permit for permission to work.

To qualify, students must:

  • Be enrolled at participating publicly funded post-secondary educational institutions or in approved programs at eligible privately funded institutions.
  • Be enrolled as full time students.
  • Make reasonable progress towards completing their program of study
  • Students are authorized to work up to 20 hours a week during regular academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks, such as summer holidays and spring break.
Work as a co-op:

To be eligible:

Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.

  • Your employment must be part of your academic program, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% of the total program of study.

If you would like to work to supplement your income for studying contact us.

Start typing and press Enter to search